Hey guys! My cold is actually feeling better this morning so that’s a big plus. I have been thinking more about last nights post and I still feel once I finish Sinister7 and my marathon in August I am going to take a break at running long distances and focus more on yoga. It’s hard to do now because I don’t have a quiet place to do it on my own and there are no classes being run through the summer. Once I’m in Calgary I’ll have a lot more options though. I’m thinking a 30 day challenge in the fall would be a neat experience. I’m interested in what I could gain by committing to doing yoga 30 days in a row. Anyone want to join me? We have lot’s of time yet, just over two months before I start so you have time to think about it.
Onto the cake! We are celebrating my dad’s birthday this weekend and I told him I would make him a cake. Now usually he wants black forest cake, but I was happy to hear a different request this year. He wanted a coffee cake. I decided to add a twist to it as I know he also loves apple pie, so made a two layer coffee cake and added an apple pie filling, with a crumb topping, drizzled with brown rice syrup and sprinkled with toasted walnuts.
WHOLE GRAIN APPLE COFFEE CAKE
1 c spelt flour
2 c whole wheat flour
1 1/2 organic cane sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp + 2 tsp baking powder
1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
1 c soy milk
1/2 c pumpkin
1 tbsp vanilla
1/4 c walnuts
1/3 c organic unsalted butter, melted
1/2 c brown sugar
1 c spelt flour
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1) Pre-heat oven to 325 F and lightly grease two round cake pans with coconut oil.
2) Combine ground flax and water and set aside to thicken.
3) Prepare the crumb topping by mixing sugar, flour and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add melted butter and mix well, then set aside.
4) In a large bowl whisk together milk, pumpkin, vanilla and flax egg.
5) Add dry ingredients and mix until combined. Do not overmix. Pour into prepared cake pans and sprinkle one pan with about 1/4 c of walnuts and the other pan with the crumble topping.
6) Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and let sit 10 minutes than transfer to cooling rack.
7) Next prepare the apple pie filling.
Apple Pie Filling
4 organic Gala apples, peeled, cored and diced
1 tbsp organic unsalted butter
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp orange zest
1/2 tbsp flour
Add all ingredients except flour to a sauce pan over medium-low heat and cook until apples have softened, about 15 minutes. Add flour stirring constantly until juices have thickened. Set aside to cool.
8) Assemble cake by placing cake that’s topped with walnuts on a plate. Spread apple pie filling on top then top with cake that has the crumb topping. Drizzle with brown rice syrup and sprinkle with about 1/3 c toasted walnuts.
9) Serve chilled or at room temperature.
I can’t tell you how it tastes because it would be kind of obvious if i cut a slice out of it, but I will let you know later. I hope everyone likes it. It’s always a little nerve racking baking healthier desserts for a group of people.
Let’s hope the rain holds off, we’re going camping and it’s no fun in the rain. Hope everyone has a great weekend.