Hey Guys! I hope your Monday went well. It continued to feel like spring here and the forecast is looking good. Next weekend we’re supposed to get highs of 11 C and 13 C. I love it! With the warmer weather and sunshine I was inspired to make a fresh dish for dinner yesterday.
SPRING LEGUME AND SWEET POTATO SALAD
1 1/2 c any combination of dried beans, peas, and lentil (I used a 9 bean mix that contained green whole peas, green whole lentils, red split lentils, pinto beans, small white beans, small red beans, light red kidney beans, black beans and black eyed beans)
2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 tbsp EVOO
3 celery stalks, diced
1 c onion, diced
1 c parsley, finely chopped
2″ piece of fresh ginger, grated
1/2-3/4 c raw sunflower seeds, soaked
1/2 c raisins
1 tbsp lime juice
1) Soak 1 1/2 c dried legumes and 1/2-3/4 c raw sunflower seeds overnight in separate containers.
2) Drain legumes and rinse well. Cook according to directions on stove top. Drain and rinse sunflower seeds as well and set aside.
3) Chop sweet potatoes and toss with EVOO and cinnamon. Transfer to baking sheet and bake in 350 F oven for 1 hour.
4) Chop celery, onion, and parsley and place in large bowl. Grate ginger and add to bowl.
5) Once beans and sweet potatoes are finished cooking add to veggies in bowl and mix.
6) Add sunflower seeds, raisins, and lime juice. Mix until combined well and serve or let marinate in fridge a few hours or overnight.This was so light and refreshing. The sweet potatoes and raisins add sweetness, while the parsley gives it a slight peppery flavour. The sunflowers lended some crunch and the raisins added a chewy element to this dish that I really enjoyed. I ate it right away, but I have a feeling this will taste even better once all the flavours marinate. It sure looks pretty too!
I’m off to stretch and try some meditation. Hope everyone else is getting great spring weather!